Saturday, Jun 20, 2020 00:00 [IST]
Last Update: Saturday, Jun 20, 2020 08:07 [IST]
Kurukshetra University is one of the oldest universities in Haryana known for its advanced research and study in the region. Awarded with A+ Grade by NAAC. The Kurukshetra University campus has been rated as one of the most beautiful and useful campuses in India.
● The Human Resource Development Ministry (MHRD) has ranked the University in Category-I at the State university Level at the 8th position in the country.
● Established in 1956, the university has turned into a multi-faculty university offering a number of courses in several fields.
● Kurukshetra University offers a number of programs for students at undergraduate, graduate and M.Phil. Kurukshetra University offers around 175 courses.
● The University also has 47 departments and 282 colleges under its affiliation.
The application process for admission at the university starts every year around June, but the application for M.Phil begins in August every year. Some of the departments being the Zoology and Botany Department. Kurukshetra University is also recognized for its distance learning programs. The university offers UG, PG courses, Lateral Entry Programs, and PG Diploma as well for distance education.
The department of Zoology which was established in 1967 and is one of the recognized centres founded by Prof. R.D.S Bhatnagar. Initiated with a Master’s Degree program in Zoology. The Zoology Department at Kurukshetra University has worked with committed teachers, technocrats and researchers to modernize the use of old animal traditions in Haryana. The department was made to preserve the animal ethos; over the years, more programs were added to the Zoology department based on teaching and research. The Zoology department offers three major Master’s programs.
1. M.Sc in Zoology: Eligibility - B.Sc with at least an aggregate of 50% with Zoology, Chemistry, and one more bio-subject (such as Botany, Biochemistry, Genetics etc.) Duration- 2 Years, Admission Procedure - Entrance Test-cum-Merit.
2. M.Sc in Forensic Science: Eligibility - B.Sc with 50% marks aggregate from a recognized University Duration- 2 Years, Admission Procedure - Entrance Test-cum-Merit.
3. M.Sc in Genomics: Eligibility - B.Sc(Medical)with 50% marks aggregate from a recognized University Duration - 2 Years, Admission Procedure- Entrance Test-cum-Merit.
85% of the seats are saved for the bonafide students of Haryana.
The university established a recognized department of Botany under many noticeable botanists in the country. Dr S.P. Singh, Prof. K.S. Bhargava, Prof. C.L. Mandhar, Prof. D. Mukherjee, Prof. N. K. Matta, Prof. S.R. Gupta, Prof. Ashok Aggarwal, Prof. J.S. Singh, Prof. R.S. Mehrotra, Prof. M.L.H. Kaul, Prof. S.N. Bhambie, Prof. L.C. Lamba, Prof. Keshav Trehan and Prof. B.D. Vashistha are all able botanists and founder members of the Botany Department at the University.
The Botany Department also has a Botanical and Herbal Garden with a Twin Glasshouse facility. The glasshouse has a collection of economically important and rare plants like Elaeocarpus sp. (Rudraksha), Ephedra, Ginkgo biloba, Ruscus, Rauwolfia serpentina, Aurocaria, Buddleja (Butterfly plant) etc. The students at Kurukshetra Universities are provided with a 24-hour library facility.
The Library at the Botany Department has an approx. Of 2000 classic and recent books on Botany. Even theses for the PhD and M.Phil students are available at the library. Kurukshetra University offers three courses in their botany department.
1. M.Sc in Botany: Duration - 2 Years Eligibility - B.Sc with at least an aggregate of 50% with Zoology, Chemistry, and one more bio-subject (such as Botany, Biochemistry, Genetics etc.)
2. PG Diploma in Floriculture: Duration -1 Year Eligibility - B.Sc in Agriculture with 55% aggregate or Bachelor’s Degree in Science with a biological science subject an 50% aggregate
3. PhD: Eligibility - Masters in Science with Botany as a subject with an aggregate total of 55%
Candidates with B.Sc in Agriculture are not eligible for admission in M.Sc Botany. 85% of the seats are saved for the bonafide students of Haryana.
Kurukshetra University provides post-graduate degrees for Zoology and Botany Department for two years. The admission process for the Zoology courses is through the Entrance Test and merit-based.
The application process to get admission at the university in the Zoology or Botany department is as follows:
● Visit Kurukshetra Univerity’s Official Website.
● Select the ‘Centralized Online Admission’ option to start applying.
● Get yourself Registered by clicking on ‘New User Registration’
● After you are registered, log into your account with the help of your applicant credentials.
● Click on the ‘Applicant Login’ option to log in and fill the application form.
● Select the desired course Upload the required documents.
● Pay the fee for application of INR 800 (INR 200 for SC/ST/PH and Blind candidates belonging to Haryana).
● Save and note down the credentials for further admission requirements.
In conclusion, Kurukshetra University being one of the premier institutes in India provides higher education to many students from all over the country. Students are bound to get a world-class experience with a number of facilities offered to cater to the needs of the students. The university has made a rapid transformation and is not only providing on-campus education but also distance learning. They are also working towards digital development to make the learning experience more efficient and transparent for the students.