Wednesday, Aug 18, 2021 05:15 [IST]
Last Update: Wednesday, Aug 18, 2021 23:33 [IST]
GANGTOK, : The Sikkimey Nagarik Samaj (SNS) has maintained that ‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ (ONORC) implementation in Sikkim must be “reviewed and debated” in the Assembly followed by passing a law that protects Sikkimese from risk of possible demographic changes in future.
“ONORC must be reviewed and debated in the Assembly. We want the Sikkim government to pass a law or make provisions so that no other rights are conferred to non-Sikkimese based on ONORC ration cards. ONORC is related with the future of Sikkim,” said SNS spokesperson Passang Sherpa at a press meet here on Wednesday.
Passang pointed out that there are around 30,000 migrant workers in Sikkim as per the State government’s data.
“Suppose another 20,000 migrant workers come, it would be 50,000 migrant workers and with ONORC, they will get rations here and could also bring their families in Sikkim. In coming years, there could be an influx of around 1.5 lakh persons and suppose they come out on the streets and seek more rights? What would we do? Yes, give migrant workers ration but after 10 years, they could start asking for more rights. Tyeti bela kay garney? The government must give an answer,” said Passang.
The SNS spokesperson added that the possibility of demographic change is a realistic concern as Sikkim has the lowest fertility rate in the nation.
“Our fertility rate is coming down to less than 1, the lowest in the country. At this juncture, if ONORC is implemented and another 1.5 lakh migrant population is added, we can understand the gravity of the situation and the kind of demographic changes it will bring in Sikkim. It is very dangerous and scary. The local people will be grossly marginalised due to low fertility rate coupled with ONORC influx in Sikkim,” said Passang.
Passang informed that the SNS, during its executive meeting on Tuesday, passed a resolution condemning the statement of Chief Minister P.S. Golay over ONORC.
The Chief Minister, while returning from Delhi last week, had told media at Rangpo that ONORC does not harm Article 371F and is only a welfare scheme for the poor people. He had also dismissed the need for a special Assembly debate on ONORC as it is only a welfare scheme that gives benefits and does not harm Article 371F.
Asked on this, the SNS spokesperson said the Chief Minister needs to explain to the people what interests of Sikkim are served through ONORC implementation.
“I have already explained the disadvantages of ONORC to the Sikkimese society, now the ball is in his court and he has to explain to the people of Sikkim. This apprehension is not here in the cities and towns. The apprehension has gone beyond cities and towns and has reached all the villages in Sikkim. The people of Sikkim are apprehensive about the implementation of ONORC and the very fact that the Chief Minister or the MP or the party spokesperson are trying to defend ONORC means that the people of Sikkim are not happy,” said Passang.
Passang claimed that the SNS is also receiving support from the senior leaders of both SKM and SDF and retired senior bureaucrats on the ONORC issue.
To another question, the SNS spokesperson mentioned that the Chief Minister had categorically stated that he has submitted the Limboo-Tamang Assembly seat reservation formula to the Centre. “Since the Chief Minister has categorically stated it, the PMO is flooded with RTI applications from Sikkim right now. I am sure in coming days, they will come up with the RTI reply and we will come to know about the Limboo-Tamang seat formula. We cannot comment right now till we go through the formula.”
Passang informed that the SNS also passed a resolution to approach the Centre seeking addition of Article 371F as a learning subject in the curriculum of schools in Sikkim at classes IX and XI levels. “Article 371F is the special Constitutional provision of Sikkim and our future generation must be aware about it. Hence we will be requesting the Centre for adding Article 371F as a subject in the schools here,” he said.
At the press meet, the SNS spokesperson claimed that land documents are being given by the government to non-Sikkimese based on a 2018 notification. “The 2018 notification passed by the previous government has no legal validity but despite this, land documents are randomly being given to the non-Sikkimese. The SNS meeting passed a resolution condemning this and demands that the 2018 notification is cancelled by the government,” he said.